Friday, February 22, 2019

Lessons, Love and the sexy beast


When I was young, my life was kind of crazy. My mom owned a flower shop and my father was a insurance man. They did well for our family. I thought that when I grew up my life would be showered in riches, well, just because. I was spoiled in the fact that I just never thought that I would suffer. I never thought it was possible that I'd be broke and asking a food bank to help feed my kids. I never realized that I just may be divorced, 3 kids, no child support and really, not enough education to make it out there in the real world. But that's exactly what happened.

My parents, really didn't prepare me for that because they never thought that would be my life. Hell, neither did I. I don't live that way any longer but it was my life. I had hard decisions to make, like, do I pay the light bill, or do I pay my car insurance. Do I marry this man because our lives would be better, even though he beats the hell out of me. Do I stay and take it, or do I leave? I came to a point where I realized living in a box, eating at a food bank and working 50-60 hour weeks to make ends meet, was a hell of a lot better than getting thrown around, put down, spit on, broken limbs, busted lips, and just plain let down.

By the time I was 27 I had all but lost faith in humanity. I didn't believe there were good men, just better than the last man. I was a mess and didn't trust anyone, and that included my family. All my family really knew about me was that I was a mess making one bad decision after another. They were kind of right, but what they didn't know, is that the best of me hadn't been lost, it was yet to come.

I always wanted to own a flower shop. Not for the reasons you think. Yes, I love this business, I mean truly love doing what I do. I wanted to own my shop because then I could no longer be pushed out, put down, let down, and I could be the master of my own destiny. I had the power to do things I knew to be good. I had the power to say NO. I know this seems a little drastic, but let me tell you this, when you give people the best of you and all you end up with is anger, somethings wrong. However, I learned from this. I learned the power of thank you. It goes a long way. True appreciation for your employees is important. Not as important to us as owners, but to them. They, just like me, want to do a good job. I have never found that people go to work just to feel used and worthless. But you tell them that what they do is important and appreciated, and what they give you in return is priceless.

I worked hard when I was a single parent and I was literally doing all I could do to get ahead.  Trying to give my children more than just bare necessities. To go to a job that causes you great stress and discomfort, ends up in you feeling less than and angry. And we all know if you're angry at your job, you sooner or later become unbearable to be around.

As I said I love this business. Simply love what I do. But I know I couldn't do it alone. Sure, there's a lot I can accomplish all by my little self, but that's not what it's about. It's about a team you create. sometimes your teammates must be replaced but that's okay. I have several stipulations to be a part of my team.
1) You must be a team player or be trainable to be a team player.
2) You MUST NOT be Eeyor. Your attitude is key!
3) You must not be offensive to any of your teammates. We all have a purpose and it is all important
4) You must like your job
5) Making our customers happy is our priority.
6) If there is a problem, we can talk about it, but not degrade anyone else that is on our team, PERIOD!
7) What other shops do is none of our business.....unless it really works and maybe we can implement some of their strategies, lol
8) Leave your work here and lets start fresh tomorrow.
9) This was my dream. I work 6-7 days a week because I chose this. It is my responsibility. I always appreciate your wanting to help build this baby into a full grown, sexy beast!

Number 9 means so much to me. My idea here is that I chose this path and I NEVER want anyone who helps me to get burned out. I get tired and some days want to sleep in, but this was the path I chose. I never expect more from anyone than I am willing to give myself. I also don't expect as much from them as I do myself. And this is where it gets good. They are always ready and willing. It's the craziest thing I have ever seen and I am honored to be in presence of women who love me and this business as much as I do. I'm telling you, all that nonsense I went through taught me valuable lessons. Lessons I took to heart. Thank God for that. Thank God I am who I am today.  Thank God there are people in my life exactly where I need them and they need me. We've got a good thing going on here.

This little shop has taught me confidence, love, respect and that it really does all get better. I described her(my shop) one day as my spoiled little 4 year old...just takes and takes, and then, out of nowhere, the gifts she(my shop) has given me are far more than I ever anticipated. It will always be give and take with her(my shop), but it's worth it. My journey that brought me here, at this very moment, was truly a broken road, but God did absolutely bless it with grace I have never known.
So wrapping this up, just one last word, GRATITUDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Isn't it Funny

 Life is funny. We get fat, we get skinny. One day you cut all of your hair off, the nest you're growing it out. Some days I feel like a...